Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lessons I've learned in Africa...

Hey guys and gals, it's Millie. I thought I'd share a few of the things I've realized or been reminded of while we have been back here in Ethiopia:


1) It takes a village: The people here understand that we need each other. They accept relying on, and helping out your neighbor as a natural way of life. The people here are so humble. When they greet each other in the street, they do not give a nod, a wave, a "hey". They stop, hug, hold hands, look each other in the eye, and say, "is everything okay with you?" Then it's crazy...the person being asked is actually honest about whatever is going on,and the person askingstops and listens. There is a comraderie here, community here, that is palpable.

2) Twin telepathy is very real. These silly girls pass their silent messages back and forth constantly. It is generally something like, "hey, you grab that glass coke bottle off the table to distract them while I dump all the potting soil out of this plant over here."

3) The eyes are the window to the soul. I didnt realize how closed off and guarded we Americans are until I came here, and had conversation after conversation with locals who "have their windows flung wide open"...gladly making themselves vulnerable in order to connect with you.

4) Sweet Basils has nothing on the pasta salad I ate for lunch yesterday. Fresh cut grbeans, sweet carrot slices, freshly grated cheese, and who knows what spices and oil. All I can say is mmm...mmm... good!

5) Hair is hair...that's right folks. It's no big deal. Sure, I'll have to try all kinds of things to figure out what's best for the texture of my sweet baby girls little locks. Kinda like figuring out what to do with my gift of curly hair after I gave birth to my precious Ave Ave.Having had super straight, thick, fine hair all my life, I remember looking in the mirror ,and thinking what in the world am I gonna do with this mane? So, no need to fret... no big mystery here...  lots of practice, good advice, and common sense will do the trick!

6) Even our buddy Yoftahe in Ethiopia, knew that Chris Daughtry should have won American Idol.

7) These girls are clearly Wiginton kids. No doubt about it. We have yet to find a breakfast food they do not devour.... and if it has maple syrup on it...Oh snap...it iS on!

 



8) One of our new friends here lived in the states for a while to complete his high school and college education. The other day he starts telling us that one of the things he remembers most about his time in America was a music video he saw"about women with great big behinds". I say, "Baby Got Back?" He says, "Yes, Yes, that is it!" Wow... really...SHEESH. I could just feel my heart swelling with pride. Everyone...sing with me now..."and I'm proud to be an American where at least I know..." well you get the point ;)





9) I am going to have to invest in turtlenecks (or something) as not one single piece of clothing I own is decent with two 2 year olds hanging off of me. This is a burden I will gladly bear in order to get lots and lots of sweet love from the little "stickers".




10) Every girl knows who her "Poppa" is even it takes her 6 days to admit it, and even if you've been calling him Daddy ever since you picked them up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment